Saturday, January 22, 2011

Stake Conference Adult Session

While I was in the hospital at the beginning of the month Shane called and asked if I felt that I could speak in the adult session of Stake Conference.  Knowing that I would have more strength and be ready to begin another round of chemo I agreed.  The subject was gratitude.  Shane let the Stake Presidency know that I would prepare to speak and that as long as I had the strength I would be there to do it.
Last Sunday President Sommer asked Shane how I was.  Shane told him I had a hard time talking without coughing.  Prayers must have been said for  me because by the end of the week I was hardly coughing.
I spent most of my day rewriting and refining my talk.  Shane made a comment that he hoped I was not going to just give information about the subject, that people would want to hear about my experiences. I went back to rewriting because I had started to edit some of my experiences.
I practiced my talk over and over, trying to get it to 15 minutes, having to cut out many parts.  My practicing continued between doing laundry, going to the grocery store, dinner and getting ready for the night.
As we arrived at the Stake Center I was surprisingly calm.  I was the last person on the stand.  I hope they weren't worried about me showing up.  President Sommer greeted me and asked how I was doing.  I asked how many minutes he wanted me to take.  He replied with 15 min if I could.  The other speakers offered to jostle their time if needed.  All was well I felt like I could do it.
There were more people than I had expected to be there.  All of the chairs in the cultural hall looked full and more people were still arriving.  As I looked to the audience I saw many friends some that I had not seen in months,  I could not see my family but I knew that they were there..
The talk went very well.  I felt good about the information that I shared.  I felt calm with few times of being tearful.  The subject was perfect and easy for me to share.  I feel blessed by having this experience.
It is always a  blessing to share my testimony with others.  My life was bless to see so many good friends and people that I have not seen for some time.  Their words of encouragement and love has lifted me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment