Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Let's Get Physical

Today was my first day of physical therapy.  I am going to Grand View Ogden Clinic in Roy.  It is very close to home.  I went to this therapist back in May when I did not know why I was having pain and thought that it would help me.  At the time it did bring me some relief, later when the pain became worse I just thought that I needed to do my exercises.

We start by putting heat on my shoulder, followed by swinging my arm in circles while bending over and hanging my arm to the floor.  I do shoulder shrugs and pinch my shoulder blades together.   When I was asked to hold a rolled up towel to the wall with my fist I could barely keep it there without letting it fall.  This will take some practice.  I also use a pulley to pull my arm up as far as I can above my head.  Another exercise is letting my fingers do the walking across the table to stretch the arm forward as far as it will go.

All of these are followed by a series of stretches done by the physical therapist.  I finished by being hooked up to a machine that ices my shoulder and arm. 

My arm became quit swollen today both above and below the elbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment