Thursday, December 9, 2010

A difficult day

There are days that I would like to forget about.  Today is one of them.  I had two appointments at the U hospital.  ( am for a CT scan and 10 for a Echo Cardiogram.  I usually have my CTs done at Huntsman.  However because of the other test they scheduled both at the U.

I called the U yesterday to be sure that I was going to have to have contrast, which requires an IV.  I asked if I should have my port accessed at Huntsman before going to the U.  The person said I needed lab work done. I asked if I  could do that at Huntsman.  He said that he would call and ask the technician. I did explain that I have not been able to get blood from my port so I would probably have to give the blood from my arm.  This person talked to the tech and then told me they could do it all there.

I arrived on time ready for the scan.  The tech tried to start an IV in my hand after searching my left arm for a decent vein. She debated on which vein to use, one that she could not see, or one she could see in the boney part by my finger.  She chose the one that she couldn't see and dug around to get a poor connection.  The manager looked at it and was not sure he wanted to use it.

They called a nurse in that could access my port.  I asked if they needed labs because they would not be able to draw blood from my port.  They said that they did not need blood for labs.  The nurse then refused to access the port because it would not give a blood return.  I tried to tell them that I have been using it even without that.  During and after surgery it was used for fluids and blood transfusion.  I used it at the beginning of the year for chemo.  I used it in July for a ct with contrast.
They would not budge and did not access my port. 

The nurse then tried to put in an IV on the inside of my arm.  After digging around she quit.  I asked them if they could do the CT without contrast.  They could do the chest but needed the contrast for the neck CT.  I asked them to call the dr to see if they could do it without, they didn't.  Frustration had set in and so had the tears.  I told them to forget it.  I would reschedule with Huntsman.

As I walked out the manager followed and asked what he could do.   He followed me to where Alden was waiting.  Poor Alden wondered what was going on, I am walking towards him with two bandages on my arm, tears falling down my cheeks and a man following me.  All I could say is they couldn't do it.  The man asked me a few more questions and gave me his number if I needed to make another appointment.  I left for my next appointment.

This has bothered me all day.  Derek called me later in the day and cheerfully asked me how my day was,  again I broke down and cried.  I cried to Shane,  I didn't go to a RS activity for fear someone would ask me how I was and I would cry again. 

Tomorrow will be a better day, (after the pain of physical therapy) I will be smiling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment