Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How Much More?

Can this body handle more?  Port A Cath Replacement

Shane and I made our way to the U of U Hospital.  I am going to have my port a cath replaced.   We arrived  at 11 am, we waited 20 minutes to get checked in.  We waited 45 minutes to be taken back to a room.  We waited two hours to be taken to surgery. 
When I met the doctor he asked why I wanted to replace my port.  I explained I needed something that worked. (see last weeks difficult day post)  He agreed to do it, he would put it on the same side but put the catheter into a different vein.

I met the anesthesiologist.  He was a fun guy,  he numbed my arm up really well to get the IV started, I didn't feel a thing until he started the fluids and it stung pretty bad. He slowed the drip and it felt better. I asked him if he was going to put me to sleep and he said "do you want to sleep?"  Without hesitation I said YES!

I didn't sleep, I relaxed and heard everything that went on.  They covered my face, probably so that it stayed clean and I would not try to see what they were doing.  Several times they ask me how I was doing.  I was awake!  I didn't feel anything until they started stitching me up.  I finally said, "I can feel that."  They quickly gave me a more local block. The surgery was fast I think less than 30 minutes.  They took me to a holding area and took an X ray to make sure the placement was good.  Shane met me there and then we went to a recovery room.
I asked them to leave the IV in so that I could go back to radiology a have the CT scan done.  They discharged me, I got dressed and they took me by wheelchair to radiology.  They were able to do the scans and inject the dye.  I am so glad to be finished with that.

Thankfully I do not need to go to Salt Lake for doctors until after the new year.
My body is telling me that it is not happy with all I have done to it.  My neck is stiff and swollen where they have accessed the vein.  The port site is tender.  My right arm is not happy.   I am going to give myself a break and not go to physical therapy tomorrow.  Happy resting and relaxing! 

2 comments:

  1. Theresa,

    Thank you for sharing this blog! I have gone back to the beginning and have read every post. What a courageous woman you are! I really enjoy the pictures-were you and Shane ever really that young? It was fun to watch Alden receive his mission call. Thank you for your words of love and encouragement that you have given to me! I appreciate you and your family and am blessed to have you as my friend. Love, Janice Delgado

    ReplyDelete